June = National Safety Month
June 14, 2021
Please join us in recognizing June as National Safety Month (NSM)! June 2021 marks the 25th anniversary of National Safety Month, an annual observance to help promote safety - from the workplace to anyplace.
What is National Safety Month?
Every June the National Safety Council (NSC) encourages businesses and communities across the country to be a part of National Safety Month. This month is used to educate and increase awareness of the top causes of preventable injuries and deaths.
3. Recreational activity mishaps: opioid use, accidental poisonings, choking, distracted walking and leaving children unattended are a few of the community hazards that can be prevented. To avoid these issues, use medication as prescribed, childproof your home, learn the Heimlich maneuver and look both ways before you cross the road. When you are out and about, be attentive and observant of your environment.
How to acknowledge National Safety Month
Each week in June there is a different theme that focuses on critical safety issues. We encourage you to reflect on each topic and evaluate how you or your company are handling each issue.
- Week 1: Prevent Incidents Before They Start
Identifying risks and taking proactive safety measures to reduce hazard exposure is crucial to creating a safe workplace.
- Week 2: Address Ongoing COVID-19 Safety Concerns
As the pandemic continues, communicate with your employees about how that impacts their work. Help them navigate returning from remote workspaces, build trust around vaccines and be supportive of their mental health.
- Week 3: It’s Vital to Feel Safe on the Job
Foster an inclusive culture. Not only is physical safety important, but psychological safety is too. Being able to be one’s self at work without fear of retaliation is necessary for a safe environment.
- Week 4: Advance Your Safety Journey
Safety is all about continuous improvement. Whether organizationally or individually, the National Safety Council can help provide guidance for your path forward.
To continue your safety journey, you can sign up here to become a National Safety Council Member. Members will automatically receive annual National Safety Month information. Additionally, they will receive member-exclusive webinars.
Stay safe out there - not only this June, but all months of the year.