National Start! Walking Day
Support the fight against heart disease by participating in National Start! Walking Day this Wednesday, April 7. Adults nationwide are encouraged to make the pledge to Start! Walking and to become active and heart healthy, especially in the workplace.
Why walking? For starters, taking just ten minutes three times a day to walk will help you live longer. Walking also has the lowest dropout rate of any physical activity. Essentially it’s the simplest positive change you can make to effectively improve your health.
Getting at least 30 minutes of walking or moderate physical activity under your belt every day can help you:
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
- Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Improve blood lipid profile
- Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
- Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
- Reduce the risk of non insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
Aside from the physical health benefits of exercise it also does wonders for your mental health. And who doesn’t need a mental holiday?
More information on National Start! Walking Day